This page has been moved. You are being redirected.
- +31 20 59 86815
- faculteit der sociale wetensch ( afdeling communicatiewetenschap )
- Full Professor
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
Peter Kerkhof is professor in social media and chair of the department of Communication Science. He holds a PhD (1997) in (social) psychology from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Previously he held a special chair in Content Marketing at the University of Amsterdam. His research focuses on how information and interaction in social media shapes consumers’ impressions of organizations and their products or services. A second line of research focuses on how social media affect interpersonal relationships. Peter Kerkhof’s work has been published in major academic journals (e.g., Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Human Communication Research, Communication Research, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Cyberpsychology and Behavior, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin).
- Ketelaar, P., Willemse, L., Sleven, L. & Kerkhof, P. (2015). The good, the bad and the expert: How consumer expertise affects review valence effects on purchase intentions in online product reviews. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 20(6), 649-666 (5-yr IF=3.799; Q1 /nr. 2 ISI Communication)
- Dijkmans, C., Kerkhof, P., Buyukcan-Tetik, A.& Beukeboom, C. (2015). Online conversation and corporate reputation: A two-wave longitudinal study on the effects of social media exposure to a highly interactive company. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 20(6), 632-648 (5-yr IF=3.799; Q1 /nr. 2 ISI Communication)
- Beukeboom, C. J., Kerkhof, P. & de Vries, M. (2015). Does a virtual like cause actual liking? How following a brand’s Facebook updates enhances brand evaluations and purchase intention. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 32, 26-36 (5-yr IF=3.385; Q1 ISI Business)
- Hertz, B., Van Woerkum, C., & Kerkhof, P. (2015). Why do scholars use PowerPoint the way they do? Business and Professional Communication Quarterly, 78(3), 273-291.
- Dijkmans, C., Kerkhof, P., & Beukeboom, C. (2015). A stage to engage: Social media use and corporate reputation. Tourism Management, 47, 58-67. (5-yr IF=3.762; Q1 ISI business; Q1 /nr. 3 ISI Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism)
- Billedo, C., Kerkhof, P., & Finkenauer, C. (2015). The use of social network sites for relationship maintenance in long-distance and geographically-close romantic relationships. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 18(3), 152-157. (5-yr IF=2.535; Q1 ISI Psychology, Social)
- Dijkmans, C., Kerkhof, P., & Beukeboom, C. (2015). Social media door KLM. De relatie met online engagement en bedrijfsreputatie. Vrijetijdsstudies 33(2), 23-36.
- Muusses, L. D., Finkenauer, C., Righetti, F., & Kerkhof, P. (2015). Partner effects of compulsive Internet use: A self-control account. Communication Research, 42(3), 365-386. (5-yr IF=3.122; Q1 /nr. 5 ISI Communication)
- Muusses, L. D., Kerkhof, P., & Finkenauer, C. (2015). Internet pornography and relationship quality: A longitudinal study of within and between partner effects of adjustment, sexual satisfaction and sexually explicit Internet material among newlyweds. Computers in Human Behavior, 45, 77-84. (5-yr IF=3.047; Q1 ISI Psychology, Multidisciplinary)
- van Noort, G., Willemse, L., Kerkhof, P. & Verhoeven, J. (2014). Webcare as an integrative tool for customer care, reputation management, and online marketing: A literature review. In: Philip J. Kitchen & Ebru Uzunoglu (eds.), Integrated Communications in the Post-Modern Era, p. 77-99. Basingstoke (UK): Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Muusses, L. D., Finkenauer, C., Kerkhof, P., & Billedo, C. A . (2014). A longitudinal study of the association between compulsive Internet use and wellbeing. Computers in Human Behavior, 36, 21-28. (5-yr IF=2.489; Q1 ISI Psychology, Multidisciplinary)
Other academic activities
- Head of the department Communication Science
- Member of Centre for Advanced Media Research Amsterdam (CAMeRA), International Communication Association (ICA), American Netherlands School for Communication Research (NESCoR), Associatie van Sociaal-Psychologische Onderzoekers (ASPO)
- Reviewer for Communication, Culture & Critique; Journal of Experimental Social Psychology; Group & Organization Management; European Journal of Social Psychology; Personnel Review; ASPO Jaarboek; Acta Politica; ICA
- Participant Expert Meeting Overheidscommunicatie (Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst), NWO Commissie MAGW Open Competitie