The Department of Governance Studies aims to do research with both academic and social relevance. The central themes of our research programme are the organization and quality of public governance, with special attention for topics in safety and security and the welfare state. With our research we connect to important developments in society, economy, public administration and politics, and the new guiding mechanisms with public authorities, society and market that result from that.
Our theoretical and methodological research principles are diverse. It is precisely this diversity of thoughts and the fact that we confront insights from different origines, that makes developing bodies of knowledge in our areas of research a fascinating and innovating activity.
- Full programme description (pdf momentarily not available)
- Research group Quality of Governance
- Programme members
- Publications (Source: METIS VU)
- National and international co-operation
Chairs by special appointment
Several of our extraordinary chairs have been established at VU Amsterdam by special appointment of Dutch social organisations.
- Prof. dr. J.C.J. Boutellier occupies the Frans Denkers chair in Security and Citizenship, which has emerged from a collaboration with the police corps Amsterdam-Amstelland and the City of Amsterdam
- Prof. dr. A.B. Hoogenboom holds the extraordinary chair in Police Studies and Security Issues by special appointment of the Stichting Maatschappij, Veiligheid en Politie
Vistiting address: Metropolitan, Buitenveldertselaan 3, 1082 VA Amsterdam
Postal address: De Boelelaan 1081, 1081 HV Amsterdam
Telephone: +31 (0)20-598 6805
Fax: +31 (0)20-598 6820
E-mail secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org