- Telephone:+31 20 59 86707
- Room nr:z-130, 14a-00
- Unit:faculteit der sociale wetensch (afd. sociale en culturele antropologie), faculteit der letteren (geschiedenis)
- Position:Full professor. Chair 'Global History from an Anthropological Perspective'
Office hours: by appointment (please email)
Chinese nationalism; Chinese migration and overseas Chinese in Europe and Southeast Asia (transnationalism, organisations, politics, religion, gender, representations); tourism in China and Russia; migrants, migration policy and xenophobia in Europe; history of science in the Soviet Union.
Teaching in 2013/2014
No teaching tasks for SCA department in 2012/2013.
Individual supervision of Master's theses in SCA
Board memberships and management tasks 2013/2014
Research manager SCA department
- Seeing Culture Everywhere… from Genocide to Consumer Habits (with Joana Breidenbach). Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, forthcoming.
- Mobility and Cultural Authority in Contemporary China. Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, forthcoming.
- Maxikulti (with Joana Breidenbach). Frankfurt am Main: Campus, 2008.
- Chinese in Russia and Eastern Europe: A Middleman Minority in a Transnational Era. London: Routledge, 2007.
- Scenic Spots: Chinese Tourism, Cultural Authority, and the State. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2006.
- Transnational Chinese: Fujianese Migrants in Europe (with Frank Pieke, Mette Thunø and Antonella Ceccagno). Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2004.
Selected Online Articles:
- Investors, Managers, Brokers, and Culture Workers: How the "New" Chinese are Changing the Meaning of Chineseness in Cambodia, Cross-Currents (2012)
- “The Missing Road: Clashing Visions of Development across the Russian-Chinese Border” Japan Focus(2008)
- "Scenic spot Europe: Chinese travelers on the Western periphery" EspacesTemps.net (2005)