- Telephone:+31 20 59 86897
- Room nr:z-329
- Unit:faculteit der sociale wetenschappen (afdeling bestuurswetenschap en politicologie)
- Position:Reader in International Relations
on appointment, in office on Wednesdays and on class days
International and European Political Economy, Foreign Policy Analysis, International Security
- Transnational politics and Global Political Economy
- Geopolitics and global capitalism
- US foreign policy
- The political economy of European integration and European (socio-economic) governance
- Ph.D. with Distinction in Social and Political Sciences, European University Institute, Florence, Italy (1999)
- Master of Arts with Distinction in Political Science, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam (1994)
- International Relations
- Selected Issues in Institutions and Governance of the European Union
- Workshop International Relations and Transnational Governance
Bastiaan van Apeldoorn is Reader in International Relations in the Department of Political Science and Public Administration at the VU University Amsterdam, and co-founder and Chair of the Amsterdam Research Centre for International Political Economy (ARCIPE). He is also Research Leader at the Amsterdam Global Change Institute at VU University. He studied political science at University of Amsterdam, obtained his Ph.D. in the social and political sciences from the European University Institute in Florence (with distinction), and was a postdoctoral fellow at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies in Cologne.
Bastiaan van Apeldoorn’s research centres around the relationship between state power and social power within the European and global political economy and within contemporary geopolitics. His current research interests range from the transnational dynamics of the Eurozone crisis, the crisis of neoliberal global capitalism, to geopolitical conflicts and strategies within a changing global political economy. His major current research project – with Naná de Graaff – focuses on the nexus between state and capital in US grand strategy-making, in particular analyzing how the ties of US foreign policy officials to America’s corporate elite is shaping America’s post-Cold War grand strategy.
Bastiaan van Apeldoorn is a founding board member of Elite Power Investigations Centre (EPIC).
CVCV and publications
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff (2014 forthcoming). American Grand Strategy and Corporate Elite Networks. The Open Door and its Variations since the End of the Cold War. London and New York: Routledge.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn, Naná de Graaff, and Henk Overbeek, (eds) (2014) TheState-Capital Nexus in the Global Crisis. London and New York: Routledge.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff (2014) ‘Corporate Elite Networks and US Foreign Policy: The Revolving Door and the Open Door Under Obama’, in Inderjeet Parmar, Linda B. Miller, and Mark Ledwidge (eds.), Obama and the World:New Directions in US Foreign Policy, 2nd edition. London and New York: Routledge.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn (2013). ‘The European Capitalist Class and the Crisis of its Hegemonic Project’, Socialist Register 2014, Pontypool: Merlin.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn (2013). ‘Van Rompuy’s weg is de onze niet’, Socialisme & Democractie, 2 (April), 5-16.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn, Naná de Graaff, and Henk Overbeek, (eds) (2012) The Rebound of the Capitalist State: The Rearticulation of the State-Capital Nexus in the Global Crisis, Special Issue of: Globalizations, 9(4).
• Henk Overbeek and Bastiaan van Apeldoorn (eds) (2012) Neoliberalism in Crisis. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff (2012) ‘Corporate Elite Networks and US Post-Cold War Grand Strategy from Clinton to Obama’, European Journal of International Relations, Online first, June 22, 27 pp.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff (2012) ‘The Limits of the Open Door and the US State-Capital Nexus’, Globalizations, 9 (4): 539-608.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn, Naná de Graaff, and Henk Overbeek (2012) ‘The Reconfiguration of the Global State–Capital Nexus. Globalizations, 9(4), 471-486.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Henk Overbeek (2012) ‘Introduction: the life course of the neoliberal project and the global crisis’, in Henk Overbeek and Bastiaan van Apeldoorn (eds) (2012). Neoliberalism in Crisis (Basingstoke: Palgrave), pp. 1-22.
• Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and Naná de Graaff (2012) ‘Beyond neoliberal imperialism? The crisis of American empire’, in Henk Overbeek and Bastiaan van Apeldoorn (eds) (2012). Neoliberalism in Crisis (Basingstoke: Palgrave), pp. 207-228.
Senator -geen bestuurder maar deze functie staat er niet bij