- Telephone:+31 20 59 86706
- Room nr:n-338
- Unit:faculteit der sociale wetenschappen (afdeling organisatiewetenschappen)
- Position:UHD-Associate professor
Thursday and Friday.
- International cooperation;
- CSR, philanthropy and social entrepreneurship;
- NGOs and civil society;
- Public-private cooperation;
- Sustainable development, alliances in nature conservation, land use;
- Transnational entrepreneurship;
- Diversity in organizations.
Themes: Public-private partnerships and the role of the private sector in nature conservation and land reforms in Southern Africa, Corporate Social Responsibility and social entrepreneurship.
Project leader of the NWO-WOTRO Integrated Programme entitled ‘Farm Dwellers, the Forgotten People? Consequences of Conversions to Private Wildlife Production in KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape’. Partners: Free State University (South Africa), University of Cape Town (South Africa) and the University of KwaZulu-Natal (South Africa).Other research projects:
- Popular land struggles, elites and nature conservation in Transfrontier Conservation Areas (TCFAs) in Southern Africa (in cooperation with Stellenbosch University, funded by the South Africa-Netherlands Research Programme on Alternatives in Development (SANPAD)).
- Partnering with the Private Sector: The impacts of joint ventures between land reform beneficiaries and the private sector in Limpopo Province (in cooperation with the Institute for Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies, University of the Western Cape, South Africa, funded by SANPAD).
- Public Management;
- Enterprising Regions;
- MSc Thesis (thesis subjects).
Publications (Source: METIS VU)
- Ramutsindela, Maano, Marja Spierenburg & Harry Wels (2011) Sponsoring nature: Environmental philanthropy for nature conservation, London: Earthscan.
Recent journal articles:
- Brooks, Shirley, Marja Spierenburg, Lot van Brakel, Annemarie Kolk, Kethabakhe B. LuKhozi (2011) Creating a commodified wilderness: Tourism, private game farming, and ‘third nature’ landscapes in KwaZulu-Natal, Tijdschrift voor Sociale en Economische Geografie, 102(3), 260-274.
- Spierenburg, Marja & Harry Wels (2010) Conservative philanthropists, royalty and business elites in nature conservation in southern Africa, Antipode,42(3), 647-670.
Milgroom, Jessica & Marja Spierenburg (2008) Induced volition: resettlement from the Limpopo National Park, Mozambique, Journal of Contemporary African Studies, 26(4), 435-448.
International Council for the Science