- Telephone:+31 20 59 86839
- Room nr:z-414
- Unit:faculteit der sociale wetenschappen (afdeling communicatiewetenschap)
- Position:Full Professor
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday (appointment by email)
Information in Dutch
Elly A. Konijn is a professor in Media Psychology at the Dept. of Communication Science and a Fenna Diemer-Lindeboom endowed chair at VU University Amsterdam. She has graduated in Psychology, Social Scientific Information Systems, and Media Studies, and was a visiting scholar at the City University of New York. Her scientific research program moves along three main lines: 1) media use among adolescents; 2) emotions and reality-fiction perceptions in entertainment media; and 3) virtual humans in virtual environments. Application areas are human well-being and health, media education, and creative industry. In each domain, she has published in major scientific journals (e.g., Pediatrics, Developmental Psychology, Journal of Adolescent Health, Media Psychology, Journal of Adolescence, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction TOCHI, CyberPsychology & Behavior, Anxiety, Stress, & Coping). Elly Konijn wrote several books, was lead editor of “Mediated Interpersonal Communication” (Routledge, 2008), and co-editor of “The Routledge Handbook on Emotions and Mass Media” (Routledge, 2010). She is elected chair of the Information Systems’ division of the International Communication Association and editor of the ISI-journal Media Psychology.
• Media psychology
• Emotions and media
• Media and adolescents (e.g., health, digital games)
• Perceived realism
Member of the International Communication Association (ICA), the Netherlands School of Communication Research (Nescor), The Netherlands Association of Social Psychologists (ASPO), the Research School of Literature and Arts (OSL). Participant in the research program 'Communicative Performance: Content and Persons in the Media and in Organizational Relations'. Program leader 'Communication and Emotion' within the dept. Communication Science, and Program leader of 'E-learning and entertainment' in the Centre for Advanced Media Research (CAMeRA) at VU.
- Psychology of Media Use
- Individual MA-theses
- Media and Entertainment
- Essentials of Media Psychology
- Media and Individual Differences
- PhD supervision
Recent publications (selection):
- Den Hamer, A., Konijn, E.A., & Keijer, M. (in press). Cyberbullying Behavior and Adolescents’ Use of Media with Antisocial Content: A Cyclic Process Model. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking.
- Van Gelderen, B.R., Konijn, E. A., Bakker, A.B. (in press). Daily Deliberative Dissonance Acting among Police Officers: Impact on Strain and Work Engagement, Journal of Managerial Psychology, …
- Veldhuis, J., Konijn, E.A., & Seidell, J.C. (in press). Counteracting Media’s Thin-Body Ideal for Adolescent Girls: Informing is More Effective than Warning, Media Psychology,
- Spekman, M.L.C., Konijn, E.A., Roelofsma, P.H.M.P., Griffiths, M. (2013). Gaming addiction, definition and measurement: A large-scale empirical study. Computers in Human Behavior, ... DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.05.015
- Konijn, E.A., Veldhuis, J., & Plaisier, X.S. (2013). You Tube as Research Tool – Three Approaches, Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking. DOI:10.1089/cyber.2012.0357
- Nije Bijvank, M., Konijn, E.A., Bushman, B.J. (2012). “We don’t need no education”: video game preferences, video game motivations, and aggressiveness among adolescent boys of different educational ability levels, Journal of Adolescence, 35, 153-162.
[DOI: 10.1016/j.adolescence.2011.04.001 / http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2011.04.001]
- Veldhuis, J., Konijn, E.A., & Seidell, J.C. (2012). Weight information labels on media models reduce body dissatisfaction in adolescent girls. Journal of Adolescent Health, 50(6), 600-606.
- Plaisier, X.S. & Konijn, E.A. (2012). Rejected by peers – Attracted to antisocial media
- content: Rejection-based anger impairs moral judgment among adolescents, Developmental Psychology, advance pub online: doi: 10.1037/a0029399
- Bandelli, A. & Konijn, E.A. (2012). Science centers and public participation: Methods, strategies and barriers. Science Communication, xx(x), 1-30; DOI:10.1177/1075547012458910.
- Konijn, E. A. (2012). The role of emotion in media use and effects. In: Dill, K. (Ed.). The Oxford Handbook of Media Psychology (pp. 186-211). New York/London: Oxford University Press.
- Konijn, E.A., Veldhuis, J., Plaisier, X.S., Spekman, M., & Den Hamer, A. (in press). “Psychology of Digital Media and Youth”. In: Shyam Sundar (Ed.), Handbook on the Psychology of Communication Technology. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Spekman, M.L.C., Konijn, E.A., Vedder, E.M., Veldhuis, J., Hoorn, J.F., & Riper, H. (2012). E-Health Game on Overweight and its Effects on Adolescent Girls’ Psychosocial Responses: CityGirlZ. International Journal of Psychology, 47(suppl. 1), 437-438. doi: 10.1080/00207594.2012.709108
- Veldhuis, J., & Konijn, E.A. (2012). Psychosocial responses to media’s thin-body ideal (re)directed By online peer comments. International Journal of Psychology, 47(suppl. 1), 259,
- Plaisier, X.S., & Konijn, E.A. (2012). Rejected by peers: Attracted to antisocial media.
Rejection-based anger loosens moral judgment among adolescents. International Journal of
Psychology, 47(suppl. 1), 408. DOI:10.1080/00207594.2012.709107.
- Veldhuis, J., & Konijn, E.A. (2012). Counteracting negative body perceptions in adolescent girls by information labels on media models. International Journal of Psychology, 47(suppl. 1). DOI:10.1080/00207594.2012.709107
- Spekman, M.L.C., Roelofsma, P.H.M.P., Konijn, E.A., & Riper, H. (2012). Excessive Gaming as a Psychopathological Disorder? Relating MMPI-2 Addiction Subscales to Excessive Gaming. International Journal of Psychology, 47(suppl. 1), 71. doi: 10.1080/00207594.2012.709088
Other academic activities
• Editor Media Psychology: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/15213269.asp
• Vice-chair of ICA's division Information Systems: http://www.icahdq.org/
• Lecturer at Amsterdam University College: http://www.auc.nl/auc
• Program leader (e-learning and entertainment) at CAMeRA (Center for Advanced Media Research Amsterdam): http://camera.vu.nl/
• Board member NESCoR (Netherlands School for Communication Research).
Elly Konijn has been awarded the prize of the Faculty of Social Sciences for
- the best researcher of 2009, by emeriti professors
- the best lecturer of 2009, by the student council